Is your professional license at risk? Many professional licenses are subject to licensing boards that handle disciplinary actions. If you received a notice of discipline from such a board, then knowing how to effectively respond is critically important. In some situations, even if you have not received a notice from your licensing board, you may have the responsibility to proactively inform a board of an incident. Licensing Boards will be represented by the experienced attorneys at the Minnesota Attorney General’s Office or other government agencies. Handling these matters professionally can save your license and your livelihood.
Board disciplinary processes can result in:
- No Action/Dismissal
- Stipulation Agreement
- Stayed Suspension (Maintain License with Disciplinary/Corrective Action)
- License Suspension
- Loss of License
The process often begins with a phone call from an investigator, or you may receive a letter or Notice of Conference from the Board that outlines the allegations against you and directs you to respond in writing. To protect your livelihood, it is important to consult with an attorney as soon as you are contacted by the Board.
After responding in writing, you are often required to attend a Conference with a Discipline Panel. If the Panel does not dismiss the matter or you cannot come to a mutually agreed upon course of action, you may end up proceeding to a Contested Hearing. Consulting with an experienced attorney immediately upon being contacted by the Board is critically important to protecting your livelihood.
Occupations Subject To Professional Discipline By:
- Minnesota Board of Law Examiners
- Health Licensing Boards
- Minnesota Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- Minnesota Board of Dentistry
- Minnesota Board of Dietetics and Nutrition Practice
- Minnesota Board of Emergency Medical Services
- Minnesota Board of Medical Practice
- Minnesota Board of Nursing
- Minnesota Board of Examiners for Nursing Home Administrators
- Minnesota Board of Occupational Therapy
- Minnesota Board of Optometry
- Minnesota Board of Pharmacy
- Minnesota Board of Physical Therapy
- Minnesota Board of Psychology